Friday, October 22, 2021

Capturing the Stories

If you are reading this blogpost, then it is likely that you already know that I have had this blog for a very long time.  14+ years to be exact.   There was a time when this blog was my main creative outlet  and a major key to my sanity, however for various reasons (moving 3 times, social media, and changing stages of my life to name a few), blogging has taken a back burner in my life the last several years.  Fact of the matter is though....I miss having our stories written down.   My family enjoys going back and reading about cute and funny things they did when they were younger.  Or seeing a recap of a family vacation we went on.  Or checking out their Halloween costumes from days of yore.  

Though my life isn't as cute or funny  without little kids around, I still want to remember these days.   

I want to remember the two crazy weekends when we dogsat Spence's 7-month-old puppy.  Kiwi is like a big sweet bumbling toddler who doesn't know how big she is.  She's curious and can't be left alone for 2 minutes or she'll eat food off the counter, demolish my fall decorations (pine cones are a favorite of hers), chew up a pen, or pee on the rug.   

I also don't want to forget how Rocky and Kiwi sacked out on the end of our bed, while Ellie and I watched a movie.  Glen wasn't too disappointed to be out of town for both Kiwi escapades.  


I also don't want to forget these missionary Mondays when I get to talk with my sweet Hermana who's on the 2nd to last transfer of her mission!!!   I won't lie....I'm getting mighty excited for January 11th to roll around!  

I also don't want to forget the early morning walk Glen and I took in the 35-degree rain/slush the other day.  With all his recent travel and busy work schedule, it had been several days since we'd been able to take our normal morning walk together, and I missed it enough that it was well worth it to brave the cold and wet to have that time to connect together.  Just for the record, I was wearing a winter hat and thick jacket for the walk and I STILL got this wet!  

I don't know if I've mentioned this on here before, but I LOVE mail...especially postcards.  I collect postcards wherever we go and even participate in a postcard exchange group where I send and receive postcards from all over the world.  It's a guilty pleasure hobby for me and I've been doing it for several years.  Someday I'll do a whole post on it, but for now I'll just share this postcard I received this week.  There was only about 1/3 of it left and apparently the other 2/3 had gotten caught up in the machinery at the post office.  Luckily that 1/3 that survived happened to have my address on it and it got delivered in a bag just like this.  

Also, I don't want to forget how deeply I love hiking around here.  Of course I knew there were good mountain trails here, but I also knew we wouldn't have time to do those on an everyday basis, so I had this expectation of boring treeless trails we'd have to walk most days.    I think my expectation was so low mostly because we really loved the hiking trails near our home in Pennsylvania and I didn't think I'd find anything close to home to compare.   But it turns out that we live in a lovely place and I rather enjoy seeing camels, alpacas, horses, cows, goats, and swans on my everyday hikes too.   This view is from a hike we take once or twice a week up to the Horsetail Falls trailhead.  The trailhead is about 2 miles from our house (all uphill), which makes it the perfect amount of challenge for us.  


 This is our life. It's not all that entertaining or interesting, but it's mine, and I'm grateful for that.  

Thanks for caring enough to read.  

Have an awesome weekend! 

No comments:

google analytics