Thursday, January 15, 2015

About Me

This post is to remedy the fact that I don't have an "About Me" page on this blog yet!   You will find this linked in the top menu bar from now on.  


**************************

Hello, and welcome to our family blog!

I started this blog in 2007 at the encouragement of my family, who mostly lived far away, and wanted to keep up with the day-to-day "adventures" of us with our five kids.   I was one of the last of my seven siblings to start blogging, but am now the only one who still keeps it up on a very regular basis (more than once a week).  This blog has been my sanity through good and bad times, and I daresay that without it that I'd be a puddle on the floor right about now.  

Although the ultimate purpose of this blog is still simply to keep a record of our lives, I really have enjoyed sharing and connecting with other people in this way as well.   I am not a superstar at either, but I love photography and writing, and especially how I can use both together to tell a story!   I also occasionally think I'm wildly funny and you will see my silly humor shining through.  

   I am thankful to all of you who have stuck with me through the years, or those who are just joining in.    I love my family and I love blogging, and I'm glad you're here!  

See below for random facts about me  and some blogposts to help you explore this blog!    

**************************

10 Random Facts About Me: 
1.  I have been married to Glen for 23-years.
2.  I grew up in Minnesota, Glen grew up in Colorado. We met at BYU.
3.  We have five kids, ages 11-21 (as of December 2016). 
4.  We have lived in the DC area for over 17-years.
5.  We are active Mormons.
6.  I often blog while standing up.   I somehow feel less guilty about not doing housework if I'm standing at the counter blogging, instead of sitting at a desk or table.
7.  I am pretty low-maintenance and actually enjoy grocery shopping better than clothes shopping.
8.  I homeschool 3 of my kids right now. 
9.  I love to read, but usually only allow myself to read one book a month (this one's my latest).
10.  Although I carry my camera with me more than most people, I sometimes deliberately leave it at home so it doesn't distract me from enjoying the moment. 

**************************
Some links

Why I blog?
What this blog means to me?
10 Random Facts About Me
Gratitude

About Spencer's leukemia:
Diagnosis
Telling Spencer
Glen losing his job the same week as Spence's diagnosis
The process of why we chose for Spencer not to receive a bone marrow transplant
Capturing leukemia in pictures
Trusting in the Lord
Removing the central line
Leaving the hospital 
Cancer's effect on our family (3 years later)

About Ellie's epilepsy:
Diagnosis
Seizure first aid
Difficulties at school
Ellie's heartbreak
Unstoppable

Homeschool
Why we homeschool all of our kids in 8th grade
 Why I decided to homeschool

Some Favorites:
My kids' favorite blog story
Favorite picture I've ever taken
Top Ten Best-Loved Children's Books
My husband's least favorite blogpost 
How to plan a birthday party (Lara style) 
Our family's list of recommended books
My wonderful family
Family travel spreadsheet (a couple years out of date)
A few of my favorite products
Fun things to do in DC with kids
One of my kids writes a song
Things I've been accused of
Things I've never been accused of

Hair disheveled, unbuttoned and untucked shirts, gray roots showing…this is us…in real life!
***************************

3 comments:

Jennifer McArthur said...

I'd just like to add that you're one-of-a-kind terrific, too!

K said...

For the record, AnnaLisa and I still count as bloggers! (o:

melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

google analytics