Friday, April 27, 2012

Starstruck on a Field Trip

 Need advice on herding cats (aka wandering 3rd grade boys)?   Or on helping an entire group of kids with varying amounts of cash to find a souvenir in an overpriced gift shop?  Or how to successfully nap while seated three to a seat on a school bus?  Call me.  I hate to brag, but I am somewhat of a field trip connoisseur  and could teach a college level course about all the sweet skills I have!  :)

Too bad I have yet to convince any colleges to add Field Trip Czar Skills as a major program. 

Sarcasm and chaperoning skills aside, I love that my kids go on field trips to places most people only read about in history books.  Places like Jamestown, Philadelphia, Yorktown, Gettysburg, Baltimore, Williamsburg, Richmond, etc.  They see them up close and personal and  I think it's awesome! 

On the dozens and dozens of field trips I've been on over the years though, it's clear that some are better than others.  Some are long and boring (like last year's 2 hour drive to a farm where we got to stay for 1/2 hour).  Some are cool.  Some rushed.  Some fun.  Some disorganized.  And some are downright awesome!   

Today I chaperoned a field trip for the first time in a few months and had to say that today's trip was of the awesome sort! 

See evidence....
They got to meet Bill Nye the Science Guy!  

He was rushing out of the convention center to an engagement at the White House, so the boys were among the last few kids who got to greet him before he greeted the president, but it was so cute to see them act a little starstruck in his presence.

Then later on,  I was showing the pictures to everyone at home and and guess who was jealous of his younger brother meeting Bill Nye the Science Guy? 

Spencer Nigh the Leukemia Guy!  That's who! 

******************************

UPDATE:
  • Tonight is our last night of the middle-of-the-night administering of his IV antibiotic!  I am very much looking forward to a couple of days without a 1:30am alarm going off! 
  • Spence is still feeling pretty good and is looking forward to a fun weekend of birthday celebrations. 
  • The birthday cards continue to pour in and he's getting very excited about opening them!  Thank you!!!!!
******************************
"I do not believe that sheer suffering teaches. If suffering alone taught, all the world would be wise, since everyone suffers. To suffering must be added mourning, understanding, patience, love, openness, and the willingness to remain vulnerable."
Anne Morrow Lindbergh (sent by Carol S.)

2 comments:

Steve-Rosanna said...

I first saw Bill Nye the Science Guy on TV when I was in the Third Grade and he still looks the same-always spiffy in his bow tie. Apparently hasn't aged a bit in the past hundred years or so.

Absolutely amazed sometimes by the plethora of places to see in the greater DC area. Your children are truly so blessed by the opportunity to live in the cradle of American History. And no wonder all my children are so in love with Virginia after being raised in boring 'old' Minnesota! Old being a somewhat relative term as compared with "old" in Virginia.

annalisa said...

I immediately recognized Bill Nye the science guy. I remember watching him occasionally when I was younger. He's awesome!

Yeah it really seems like he hasn't aged very much since I saw him like 15 years ago.

That's cool that you and Adam got to meet him :)

google analytics