Sunday, February 24, 2019

More {Keto} Food!

Anyone who knows me in person or who has been following my blogs for long, knows that food is a big part of our lives.   I guess you could even call it one of my love languages.   

I love to make it.  I love to eat it. 

I'm not a fancy cook by any stretch of the imagination, but I really do love trying to create delicious (and at least semi-nutritious) things for my family to eat.   I think that's why I was so surprised when we started our low-carb (keto) way of eating for Ellie's seizures.   I had gone into it thinking  that eating keto food was going to be a sacrifice for us and that we would just have to get used to eating food that was a "lesser-than" version of what we were used to eating.   

Don't get me wrong...changing our way of eating WAS a big adjustment, but it wasn't anywhere near as hard or as bad as I expected.   Eating good, wholesome (low carb) foods is actually very satisfying and helped me to feel better, as well as helping Ellie with her seizure control.  

And as time has gone on, Ellie and I are realizing that we don't really miss "normal" food anymore.   We still have lots of fun, delicious foods we can eat and we still have fun cooking!  

Like this lemon meringue pancake cake we had for breakfast recently!  
Emma and I came up with this idea one weekend morning.   It's our favorite keto pancakes layered with keto lemon curd and topped with stevia sweetened meringue!   It was absolutely everything we'd hoped it would be....fun, unique, and delicious.  All with no sugar and low carbs.   

And here are some chocolate covered strawberries that we made for a RS night that ended up being cancelled for snow.

We used stevia-sweetened Lily's chocolate, so they were not only beautiful, but also delicious and low carb, which meant my kids and I were only a little excited that we had to eat them all ourselves!   😋

Then there's my favorite breakfast (that I've mentioned before)...hemp seed porridge.

It's essentially a keto (low carb) version of oatmeal, made with hemp, flax, and chia seeds.  We love to top it with a stevia sweetened whipped cream topping that we mix up, as well as unsweetened coconut and cacao nibs.  Usually our whipped cream is some version of stevia, chocolate, and PB, but for Valentine's Day we did a stevia and berry version that was delicious too.  

Eating low carb does take planning and work, but it's a work that has been very rewarding to us and I think that we (at least Ellie and I) are doing this for the long haul!  

In other words, don't be surprised if you see lots more keto food posts (or at least references to keto food) here in the future.  😜

***********************

No comments:

google analytics