Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Chilling with Emma

 It was so fun to have Emma home for the holidays.  She's an easy person to have around, because she's easygoing,  so helpful, and loves to cook! 


So, together, we cooked, played some games, went to the temple, watched movies and a goofy TV show, and just enjoyed being able to spend some more time together. 

And we also donated blood together.  

I started donating blood back when I was in high school and regularly donated for the next few years into college.  I was really excited when I received a special pin for making it to a gallon.  Then the 5 pregnancies, breastfeeding, daily life,  kept me away for many years.

  Then, almost exactly 12 years ago, Spencer was diagnosed with AML (leukemia) and received dozens of blood donations  through his treatment.  It was then  I decided I wanted to get back to donating again.   Too bad by then, I really struggled with my iron levels, which were often low even when I was taking an iron supplement, so, for several years, I tried to donate just once a year--every January--in Spencer's honor.  

Then I had my hysterectomy in 2022.  

Hallelujah!   In addition, to many unpleasant symptoms being eliminated, having the hysterectomy also meant that  low iron is no longer a problem, which means I can give more regularly. 

Giving blood together  worked out perfectly...the first week of January (the month of Spencer's diagnosis) and our stake held a blood drive.  I talked Emma into coming with me and we did it!   Emma struggles with iron like I did, but she was good to go this time.  I was grateful for her presence, since I actually got a little lightheaded this time, which is very unusual for me when donating.  I let her drive home and we felt good that we'd done our small part in helping a cause that's near and dear to our hearts.  

Plus we got cool t-shirts...


If you are able and you haven't done it recently, I highly recommend donating blood! There's a critical shortage currently and I know firsthand that blood donations were a part of what saved our Spencer and countless other cancer and trauma patients.  Get on the Red Cross website and look for a blood drive near you. 



No comments:

google analytics