Monday, December 18, 2023

Thirty Years of Us!

 On a cold, but sunny day in Denver, on December 18, 1993, a couple of young kids got married.

 


Here are a few random facts about our early relationship and wedding:

-We met at BYU.

-I was officially introduced to Glen when I was going on a double date and the other guy canceled super last minute.  My brother offered to find a replacement date for my friend and came back with Glen.   He dated my friend for a while, then she went on a mission and the rest is history.  Haha! 

-Both of our birthdays are on the 25th of the month (me in April, him in June), so he asked me to marry him on September 25th.  We likely would have married on the 25th as well, except the 25th doesn't really work in December. 

-My aunt made my wedding dress and it cost right about $100 total.

-I truly didn't care about my wedding colors.   I originally picked peach and green (it was the early 90's, so don't judge!) and happily changed it to burgundy and green after my Mom informed me that those colors were hard to find in the wintertime.

-Actually, I really didn't care about many of the details of my wedding and I went along with whatever my Mom and Glen's Mom told me would be easiest.   We even had a potato bar for the luncheon, despite me not liking potatoes back then. 

-We jumped in the car the day after we got married and drove to Minnesota with my family for the reception and to spend Christmas with them.   I feel bad for my younger siblings in the back of the car with us. 

-It was bitterly cold in Minnesota the week we were there (like -40* with windchill type of cold) and Glen very quickly redacted every naive statement he'd ever made about how growing up in Colorado meant he knew all about cold. 

-The first place we lived together after we got married, in South Orem, was the sketchiest neighborhood we lived in in our whole married life. Police were in our little culdesac on a semi-regular basis. 

-Glen's first job out of college was in Baltimore, Maryland...thus beginning our 25 years of living on the East Coast. 

-Our first three kids were born in three different states.  Spence in Utah, Cami in Maryland, then Emma, Adam, and Ellie were all born in Virginia.

  We were certainly pretty clueless about life when we got married, but we were filled with a deep love and naive hope for the future.   It's probably a good thing we couldn't really glimpse the future at that point, though, because I think we would have been pretty petrified at some of the things we'd be facing together.   It turns out though, that we make a pretty good team and while our family is far from perfect, it's perfect for us.  

Our official 30th anniversary celebration was the trip in October/November that I have yet to blog about (but will eventually), but we enjoyed celebrating today in our own low-key kind of way.  

We started off with a long walk (6-1/2 miles),

Then stopped for a delicious  brunch at a place called Communal,

 

 

 Then, just as we've done every anniversary for the last 30 years (except when it falls on a Sunday), we went Christmas shopping.    We also found a Giving Machine at the mall we were at and took a little stop there. 


Weirdly, I'm not sure we'd ever been up close and personal with a Giving Machine before and we were impressed with how it works.  Can you guess what I picked to give?   

After a few pitstops, we headed home where we had a boat load of Christmas cards waiting for us in our mailbox!     Any of you who's been following along with this blog for long, knows that I am quite a Christmas card aficionado and it made me smile!   

And with that, Glen had to skedaddle down to the Outpost.  😐

The trip was a grand way to celebrate, but today was a perfect low-key way to commemorate the beginnings of our family.  I'm grateful to have this man by my side through life and into the eternities.  



1 comment:

annalisa said...

Happy Anniversary Lara and Glen!!!!

google analytics