Monday, April 29, 2024

In and Out of My Comfort Zone

 So I did a thing way outside my comfort zone.  

A good friend of Glen's is a professor at USU.  Glen's given presentations for him before when he worked at a university out east, but, for whatever reason, this time the professor friend asked ME to give a presentation as well.   Me, the stay at home mom without any kids at home, who's never done anything of note.    It was total craziness at the time he asked (having my nephews here, going to the eclipse, getting ready for the grandkids to come visit (on the same night as the presentation), and Denali getting attacked and needing stitches and extra care)....so I was inclined to say, "No," and to sign me up for next time with a bit more notice.   

But after a lot of persuading from Glen, I agreed.  It's not often when Glen pushes something that I'm hesitant about, but this whole thing clearly meant a lot to him. 

It was mindbending for me to prepare a presentation that was  not gospel related and I've never given my first draft of anything before, but it's what I had time for and I had to trust that that would be enough.     It, overall, was a good experience and definitely  was a good challenge for me to get outside my comfort zone.   This was the outfit I wore, which is pretty much my only photo from the whole day.

We got home to Cami, Lucie, and Oliver at our house and I was squarely back into my comfort zone again.  


We read lots of books, baked lots of treats, went on some outings...

It may look like I took a gazillion pictures, but I actually missed a HUGE photo op of getting a photo of all my girls together, and I'm quite sad about it. 
The reason I missed the opportunity was because a few days into Cam's visit, I brought Ellie back up to Rexburg for Spring semester.   It was a long, exhausting day of driving by myself, but I think Ellie was happy to be back in her element.  Cami enjoyed spending the day with her friends. 
After that, it was back home with more book reading, visits with Auntie Heather and Grandma Rosy-nanna (and cats). Glen went down to Saint George, came back for the weekend, then left again.  
We visited Nana, who lives at an assisted living center nearby.   It's not often that people get to meet their great-great grandkids, and I think the visit meant as much to Nana as it did to Cam. 
We stayed pretty busy, but did have some time to just chill at home as well. 
Lucie is spunky and adorable as always and I LOVED my sweet and hilarious conversations with her.  Some funny Lucie-isms from this trip:   I read her a book called, "Bedhead," which I think was just  a little over her head plot-wise, but she loved it anyway and called it the "Silly Book" and requested I read it every day to her.   She loves talking on the phone and just recently got Alexa to be able to understand her.   She wears dresses 90% of the time and has names for most of them, including an Emma dress (that reminds her of a sweater of Emma's), a "disonaur" dress (her favorite), her Easter dress (the yellow one), her flower dress from Rosy-Nanna (in collage below), and colorful dress (tie-dyed one shown in some of the pictures).    She also liked to carry Bear Friend around in her "wrapper" ( a blanket wrapped around her like a baby carrier).   She likes to test limits (she is 2 after all), but I love love love her and find her antics mostly quite adorable.  
One day I read Lucie this beautiful book, after which Lucie developed a keen interest in Glen's rock collection.  I thought it was hilarious and cute how interested in them she was and how she carried them around in a (pretty heavy) bag with her around the house. 

Oliver really liked sitting with me at church that Sunday apparently.   I love that first picture!   :) I also love that Lucie loves sharing my daily smoothie with me!  

One of the days  I was exhausted and feeling hormonal (I'm guessing PMS time, though I can never be sure anymore) and looked a lot like this most of the day.   Some Oliver snuggles and Lucie conversations have definitely helped the cause.  Things are fine; I just need more sleep.   I  am not a fan of perimenopause, which I am well in the throes of.   
It was a great visit, but definitely too short.   I really enjoy being a Gigi and I don't love how far away they live from us.    Next trip planned is in August (after Adam is home from his mission) and I can hardly wait for the whole family to all be back together again!   Then I will be back in my true comfort zone again! 

1 comment:

annalisa said...

Getting out of one's comfort zone is scary. Having read the rough draft of your presentation, I think it was a beautiful message.

I'm glad Cami, Lucie and Oliver were able to come for a visit! I love all of the photos!

google analytics