Sunday, July 3, 2022

One of the Most Insane Months of My Life... (all words, no pictures)

We returned home from Hawaii on June 2nd and got busy adjusting to "normal" life again, but, alas, normal life has remained elusive.   In fact, I daresay that June 2022 may go down as one of the absolute craziest months of my entire life.  Read on to find out more....

On June 4th, we took my dad to the ER, where they diagnosed him with high calcium and some electrolyte imbalances, gave him IV fluids, then sent him home.  

On June 5th, we brought my dad back to the hospital for worsening symptoms, where he was admitted to the ICU for dangerously high calcium levels.    Over the course of the next few days (while we took turns with my mom and sisters sitting with Dad), the doctors decided that his lymphoma (which he was diagnosed with last year) was progressing in such a way that it was time to place him into hospice care.   😢

AND WITH THAT BEGAN THE ABSOLUTE INSANITY...

First, we had to deal with the array of emotions that came with that pronouncement, but there wasn't time to dwell on them, because we had to pick a hospice care company before they'd release him from the hospital.  We researched like crazy and asked friends, and ended up choosing a company called "Dignity Hospice".   The nursing supervisor for the company was in my previous ward and many friends had used them for their loved one's last days.   Almost a month later and I have to say that so far things are going pretty smoothly.  

THEN CAME THE SCRAMBLING TO... 
  •  research funeral homes
  •  figuring out how to tell family and friends
  • navigating questions from the people we told
  • trying to collect messages from loved ones around the world to present to my Dad on Father's Day. 

IN ADDITION....

1.  I was trying to help Adam get some mission shopping done before he took off to be an FSY counselor for most of the summer.  His counselor job started June 11th. 

2.  I was scrambling to help Ellie get ready for her 2-1/2 week long Humanitarian XP trip to Malawi, which started on June 14th.  

3.  I was hosting a bridal shower for a dear friend from Virginia on June 17th.  I had offered to do it weeks before all the Dad drama began.  

4.  I was hosting 10 people in my house  for about a week after my whole family decided to gather here in Utah for Father's Day, so they could spend time with my Dad while he still felt reasonably well.  

5.  I was helping to plan a Clarence and Rose Hepworth Family Reunion to be held June 18th.  I had a few helpers, but I was mostly in charge of planning the details, navigating questions and RSVPs, making flyers, and making sure that the details came together.     

6. I am the assistant stake camp director for YW camp that was held June 27 - July 1.  

IN OTHER WORDS...

My stress level has been sky high and I am completely and totally EXHAUSTED!!!!

BUT....

1.  My Mom and I toured three local funeral homes together, went over the pros and cons of each, and have one  picked out now. 

2.  We successfully told people about Dad's diagnosis and collected dozens of meaningful messages/memories, which we presented to him on Father's Day.  To be totally honest though....he  hardcore hated it and was mad at me for telling people he was dying, when he only had lymphoma...not cancer, like I was telling people. 😒 My feelings were hurt, but ultimately I remembered that I had felt prompted to gather the messages, and,  even if he never reads or appreciates them, we will be happy to have those messages/memories for our records.  

3. All 8 of us siblings came together for Father's Day weekend, we took family pictures, discussed some hard things, and enjoyed being able to spend time with Dad...except when he was mad at us (mostly me) and made me cry. 

4. I got a little mission shopping done with Adam (all of his white shirts, all of his ties, and a few pairs of pants).  We know what suit size he wears, he's tried on some raincoats, and we've narrowed down what shoes we're  going to buy.  He's also successfully completed his first 3 weeks as an FSY counselor (2 weeks in Fresno and 1 week in Provo).  He's completely physically, mentally, and spiritually exhausted, but he's happy.  He will be home with us for a week before he heads to Snow College for his last 3 weeks as a counselor.     Stay tuned for a blogpost coming soon...

5.  Ellie had a magnificent 2-1/2 week trip to Malawi. She is jet-lagged and also exhausted, but, like Adam,  is also very happy!  Stay tuned for a blogpost coming soon..

6. The bridal shower was successful.   They mostly took care of the food and decor, so most of the stress was getting my house clean enough to feel comfortable hosting 20ish people.   They ended up in the "guts of my house"  (digging in my pantry, opening drawers, etc) a little more than I expected, but it is what it is....me in all my glory!   And it ended up going well!  

7. The reunion went smoothly and I think everyone was happy about it. 
 
8. YW camp is over  and I survived.  I'm only functioning at about 66% today, but it's done, I met lots of awesome ladies and YW, and there were no major disasters, so I'm calling it a win!  Stay tuned for a blogpost coming soon...

I'm rooting for a quieter July, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high... 


No comments:

google analytics