Friday, July 20, 2012

The Bright Side


They say that I will miss these days someday. 

But days like the last few make it hard to imagine that that will ever be the case.   I've been wearing the same sweats for two days.  My emails and voice mails are left unanswered.  I missed a girls' night out.   It's not that the last few days have been bad, but with Glen out of town and a big house project looming before me, I often find myself longing for simpler days. 

Between being neck deep in this house project (attempting to organize 3 kids' stuff in a not very big bedroom) and the horrifying news of the day in Colorado (where Glen grew up), I needed a little sanity check tonight.   I decided to put aside the piles of stuff to remember all the wonderful blessings in my life. 

The things that I will miss someday.   

  Like Adam's silly conversations that usually revolve around large math problems and rocketing to the moon.  Also his helpfulness.  He was my right hand man putting together some IKEA furniture today. 

I am so grateful, over the last several months, to have been able to witness Spencer's courage and good cheer in the midst of great challenges...

I love to watch Cami's efforts to stay connected with her siblings.  Reading Harry Potter to Adam, letting Emma help with her cupcake business, helping Ellie with her crafts, and staying up way too late with Spencer even though she will be waking up 3 hours before him. 

I love my parents and siblings, all of whom who are patient and nonjudgmental of my many weaknesses...

I am in awe Emma's unselfishness and strong drive to make things happen (including earning over $350 for childhood cancer research and starting her own blog)....

And how can I forget Ellie's sense of fashion, which has been bringing a smile to my face ever since she learned to dress herself? 

And I am thankful every moment of the day for my hunny who loves me through thick and thin, which is good since I am a little on the thick side right now....

**********************************

"...if we spend our days waiting for fabulous roses, we could miss the beauty and wonder of the tiny forget-me-nots that are all around us.  This is not to say that we should abandon hope or temper our goals. Never stop striving for the best that is within you. Never stop hoping for all of the righteous desires of your heart. But don’t close your eyes and hearts to the simple and elegant beauties of each day’s ordinary moments that make up a rich, well-lived life."   Dieter F. Uchtdorf


3 comments:

Denise said...

Your kids are growing up so quickly. I love seeing them change! They aren't young for very long- I have to remind myself all the time that these days do go so fast!

annalisa said...

I am grateful I live so close to you all :)

Your family is awesome!

I love all of the pictures!

K said...

I am grateful that we got to spend a month close to family, cause your family is completely awesome! Good luck with all your projects.

Can I just point out that in the picture with the four girls everyone is wearing Madeline's clothes. (o:

google analytics