Friday, August 15, 2008

Rocky Mountain High!

Yay! We finally made it home and I can not deny that I've been feeling a little blog deprived on two fronts--reading all of your blogs and keeping up with this one. I think Glen has been a little worried that I may go on a serious blogging binge, but I have exercised a tiny bit of self-control and finished unpacking first. Of course laundry is another matter...but I'm not quite that patient.

Our trip was a little too long and my picture taking a little over-zealous to confine to one blog post...so I'm going to have to break it up into installments.

Here's the first installment: Colorado!

After leaving DC at midnight (I will concur to the fact that we may have been addled with a touch of insanity for starting a 30-hour trek in the middle of the night)...we were very happy to stand on solid ground again in Glen's homeland of Golden, Colorado. My brother Nate, who had just barely moved to Denver, was nice enough to come hang out with us at Grandma Sandy's house and do his usual niece and nephew benchpressing exercises.


All summer Emma had been begging me to teach her to crochet and knit. She quickly mastered all of my primitive crocheting skills and started checking books out of the library on how to knit. Unfortunately I'm more of a kinesthetic learner and studying the knitting diagrams in a book may as well have been a foreign language for me...so I did what any good mother would do--I passed the buck to Grandma!

Emma was an eager student and Grandma Sandy a patient tutor. I was shocked at how quickly Emma picked it up and soon had a very nice little scarf going. Thanks Grandma!


After a mere 12-hour break from interstate travel we got back into the car for a relatively short trip (only 5 hours) to Grand Mesa Lodge in the mountains near Grand Junction...where lots of cousin/Grandma/Grandpa/uncle/aunt bonding took place!

We were rudely reminded at how badly Glen and I stink at Trivial Pursuit. We are always optimistic that the latest version may prove an easier task for us...but it just doesn't matter. We stink!

Dropping objects through a hole in the ceiling became a favorite past-time for the younger kids. We learned to be careful where we stood, so as not to be impaled by the onslaught of falling objects.

What would a trip to the mountains be without a good dose of fishing? For Glen...it would be heretical! He had a grand time being the family fishing guide and hopefully got his fill until our next time.
Thankfully we don't suck at Scrabble as badly as Trivial Pursuit.

There was a healthy dose of chillin' going on (and code talking about the latest plot twists in "Breaking Dawn").
Playing catch proved popular with young and old alike!

We had a wonderful time at the family reunion and thoroughly enjoyed our time together in the fresh mountain air. We are grateful to Grandma for all the planning she did to make it a great time for all...you're awesome!

4 comments:

Troy said...

30 Hours...ugh! (And I thought 21 hours was bad.) I bet when you were driving through Kansas, it just seemed to go on and on and on and on. I hope the kids were able to sleep on the drive.

It looks like you had a lot of fun, and the memories will last forever and more than make up for any pain you may have experienced during the drive. We're glad you made it back safely and looking forward to future posts about the trip!

K said...

looks like you had a great time! We were so glad we got to see you!

Aitch said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous vacation. Wish I could've come out to visit too!

By the way, when did Adam lose a tooth? He's not old enough for that is he?!

annalisa said...

i'm sad that i just barely missed you all. but it looks like you had a lot of fun on your trip!

google analytics