Friday, August 23, 2013

Friendly Competition

For those of you who know my side of the family, you know that I grew up with a dad that absolutely loves to travel. He values seeing new places and experiencing different cultures and as a result brought us on some really awesome trips while we were growing up.  We mostly did low-cost camping roadtrips all over the US, Canada, and Mexico, but when I was fourteen they scraped together frequent flier miles and brought the family to Europe (where we also mostly camped).    By age 21 I had been to 49 states and 17 countries.

Now it's nearly two decades later and I am a little embarrassed to admit that those numbers haven't budged one bit.   While Glen and I have done more than our fair share of roadtrips over the years,  it's clear that we definitely don't have the same itch to travel like my dad and a few of my siblings have.   My dad and a few of my siblings, on the other hand, are now in the 50-60 country range.  

BUT all hope is not lost!  On our vacation I realized that I may still have some Crain travel bug in me yet!  

When we were on our way from New Brunswick to Prince Edward Island we realized that we'd be passing within 20 miles or so of Nova Scotia.   Without a second thought we determined that it would be practically against the laws of Crain nature if we were so close and gave up an opportunity to add another Canadian province to our list.  And one with such an exotic sounding name as "Nova Scotia" at that!

So we made a little detour....

and drove straight for the cute little town of Amherst...

where we took a few pictures....

 admired the beautiful architecture and charm...

and marveled that they, too, had they same weird painted statues that Saint John had.

Although only there for fifteen minutes, it turned out to be plenty long enough for the friendly Deputy Mayor of Amherst to spot my big camera and out-of-province license plate and officially welcome us to his beautiful town with a handshake and a memorabilia  pin for our lapels. 
 A pin which I will proudly wear to my next family reunion.


***********************

 PS  Normally us Crains really don't believe in gloating at all, but having just received confirmation that I have indeed beat my dad in visiting Nova Scotia,  I am going to gloat a little. 

PS#2  I may have exaggerated a little when I said we don't believe in gloating.  

PS#3  I also beat my dad (and the rest of my family) to Prince Edward Island.


1 comment:

Steve-Rosanna said...

You did indeed beat us to lovely N.S. with its quaint and pretty little towns, as well as to PEI.

We failed you as parents and are determined to get you and Glen to Alaska and your 50th state. Also to Israel as 9 out of 10 of us have spent time and/or visited there.

So glad that you all enjoyed your little journey through the Eastern Canadian provinces.

Thanks for sharing the memories and the pix.

google analytics