Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Autumn-time


I love the autumn-time.   The milder weather, the changing leaves, the fresh apples, and even the change in routine  that autumn brings, are a breath of fresh air for me each year.  Even the sunshine seems to take on a warmer, more golden hue and I find myself drawn outdoors, trying to soak up as much of the season as I can.   To me, it doesn't get much better than a long walk on a mild autumn day.  Hearing the leaves crunch underneath my feet, getting a whiff of the pleasant smell of chimney smoke,  and watching the squirrels madly dashing about as they make their caches of nuts for the winter, all of it seems to enliven my senses and I often find myself yearning to freeze time right where it's at.

October, especially, with the leaves at their peak color and the corner pumpkin "patches" that seem to pop up overnight seems to really encapsulate the season for me.  It's right about mid-month that I can't seem to stop myself from baking up a few pumpkiny treats to celebrate the season.   Warm, freshly baked pumpkin muffins with oodles of chocolate chips are our favorite!   We used to spend every Monday in October baking treats to anonymously deliver to friends under cover of darkness, but at some point in the last couple of years, we grew weary of this tradition (and the extra treats it always left lying around our house) and we stopped.  The kids still talk about how much they enjoyed it though, and I think eventually we will start it up again in a modified form.

I don't love all the boat-load of sugar that overtakes our house at Halloween, but I do love how excited the kids get about it.  Halloween costumes sometimes stress me out, but this year the two youngest knew what they wanted to be a month in advance, and my only role was to help them procure the costume.    I wish I was more creative and frugal, but in my older age I've sworn off late-night sewing sessions,  and now I  shop around online  and just order their costumes for them...with a discount usually.     Emma's costume this year is a product of her and her friends' creativity and she is quite excited and proud of their matching costumes.

Of course, autumn isn't all costumes, treats, and long walks, but I'll take what I can get!   On today's docket include homeschool lessons, math class, piano/voice lessons, and soccer practice.   I got all three of the kids their music lessons at the same time, which means I have a built-in hour to spend outside enjoying the season.    

 Have a  beautiful day!


1 comment:

The McArthur Family said...

I love Autumn, too! My favorite season!

google analytics