Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Project-a-holics Anonymous

I love diving...

  • but I don't scuba... 
  • in fact I've never in my entire life even dived into water before.   (Feet first, yes.  Belly first, sometimes.  Head first, no. )  
  • I don't dumpster dive either, although there was a time in my life that I would walk around the neighborhood and swipe people's coupons out of their recycling bins, but that's a story for another day. 

So how do I love diving? 

I love to dive head-first into projects.    Give me a deadline and something hands-on to do and I can throw myself 50000000% into it, knocking everything and everyone out of the way in the meantime.   

I don't really mean to do it.  It just sort of happens.   I have something I need to do and then I have an idea.  An idea that would make it so much better, that I just can't help but do it.  

So I dive in....and while I'm in the process, I invariably get sucked into the adrenaline rush.  I get caught up in the awesomeness of my plan and it almost seems intoxicating to make it happen.  I literally thrive on that feeling and feel lost when I don't have something "fun" to work on.

Then I finish. 

Sometimes I'm glad to have done it.  Most of the time though, it's a huge let-down.  I'm off the adrenaline rush and realize I've spent too much money, put too much time into it, my house is a gigantic mess, and I'm not really sure it meant that much more than it would have been without all the effort. 

I've been going through this process over and over again my entire adult life and even knowing that that's how it usually ends, I still manage to let myself get sucked in.   I feel like I need to go to a Project-a-holics Anonymous and learn how to temper the enthusiasm with which I pursue my projects, but I can't seem to find the number for it in my phone book.    

Maybe I'll just start my own chapter of it.   We'll meet every Tuesdays at midnight on top of Mount Kilimanjaro.  Bring hiking boots, a water bottle, and your laminator. 

We'll get started....
right after I finish up this project I'm working on.



***************************

3 comments:

annalisa said...

I am not nearly as motivated as you are when it comes to projects and finishing them. As a matter of fact I have a couple of projects that I've started and are just waiting in my room to be finished ;)

Would you like to help me finish them?!

Steve-Rosanna said...

Very funny! But I totally recognize the type "A" part of your personality.

K said...

That looks like an interesting project! I loved the project you just had Heather working on. I wish I had half your energy to get things done!

google analytics