Monday, February 10, 2014

Things That Make Me Smile

I am finding that my brain struggles with writing meaningful blog posts when I'm in the hubbub of daily life.  From the moment I wake up at 5:30am to the moment I crash sometime in the 10:00pm hour (if I'm lucky), I am usually running and still haven't found  a natural time in my schedule that suits itself well to blogging.  Most of my friends have long ago abandoned their blogs or update them very infrequently.   I, however,  still love…perhaps am slightly obsessed…with capturing the little moments in our lives and squeeze in a post whenever I can.  

This is one of those posts that is a conglomeration of a whole lot of pictures and mini-stories that I've wanted to share, but haven't had the time to devote to writing a whole blog post about them.   The stories and pictures are not related to each other in any way, other than they show a glimpse of little aspects of life and motherhood that are making me smile right now!

*******************************

Monopoly!  Spencer led the family in almost daily games of Monopoly when he was home for winter break.  He was cutthroat (in a  nice way) and usually won, but they loved playing with him anyway!  Now Adam is the ringleader and he employs many of the same game strategies that he learned from Spencer!

Cousin time!   I am so grateful that my kids are growing up with a relationship with at least some of their cousins.  I love the fun they have when they are all together and love that it gives them the opportunity to interact with younger children!

Ellie, in particular, is blessed to have a whole host of girl cousins to play dress-up with and giggle and laugh with her.  She fits in so well with them that some days I wonder if Pete and Mika would even notice if I left her at their house for a few days!

We bought our house 12-1/2 years ago and always thought we'd move at least one more time before settling down for good.  It turns out that we have settled down and don't have any intentions on moving.  Our house has been pretty tight the last few years with the older kids needing/wanting more of their own space, but we've made it work. When Spence went to college,  it gave  Emma the opportunity to move out of the room she was sharing with Ellie and Adam  and into Spencer's old room. How surprised I was when she made the switch, that we discovered that she's actually a very tidy child.  I had no idea I had any of those!!!  


I love that I have children who are thoughtful enough to write us notes like this one below that we found waiting for us the other day.    She knew how to make my day!

I think it's funny that Cami snacks on Wheat Chex, just like I did when I was pregnant with her all those years ago!  In fact, Wheat Chex is actually a family favorite cereal.  Yesterday I opened a box for breakfast and by lunchtime it was completely empty!  Better than Lucky Charms!    

Here is a glimpse of John, our adopted friend.  He is here, far away from his family, for a few months  for some career training and we like to have him over for dinner once a week to give him a break from his roommates and give him a taste of family life.  He is always teaching the kids some new skills--like drawing, computer skills, massage techniques, etc.--and we will miss him when he returns to his family and a new job soon!  

Last, but not least, I love seeing my little nephew, Jack, grow into his own personality.  I love, love, love that toddler stage of life and when I get baby hungry in the slightest (an exceedingly rare occurrence anymore), it's for sweet little ones the same age that Jack is….not for a newborn.   I love this picture of he and my sister-in-law, Karey!    

2 comments:

shannon said...

Your opening paragraph is just like mine of two days ago! Funny how we are both noticing this phenomenon on posts two days apart. I'm glad you're still blogging!

Ruth said...

I got a little choked up seeing John. I am so glad we found you.

google analytics