Friday, August 3, 2012

Breaking Olympic News!

Team USA took home another gold medal earlier this week when long-time Virginia resident, Lara G., set a new world record in the uber competitive Olympic sport of school supply shopping for five kids.  

Lara has spent the last decade or so dabbling in the sport, but upped her training regimen significantly two years ago when she volunteered to school supply shop for her school's PTA fundraiser. 

"Two years in a row of shopping for hundreds of kids was hard work, but it was just the preparation I needed to get me here on the medal stand today.  Before this year I never thought it was possible that I could complete school supply shopping for five kids in two hours at one store...but I did it!  And here I am today...my family is so proud." 

"It means so much," Lara said. "All the hard work, the intense training in crowded Walmart aisles, jockeying for the last glue stick... If you push through the hard days, then you can get through anything."

When asked what her secret was, Lara replied, "Leave the kids at home, wait until everything's on sale, then go in the days BEFORE the tax-free weekend.  In past years I've made the mistake of trying to save a few bucks by going during the tax-free weekend, but invariably the over-crowded aisles and picked-over shelves make me lose my focus. " 

It was the first-ever Olympic medal  for the beaming star, but she hopes it won't be the last. 

Go Team USA! 

**********************

For detailed accounts of Lara's intense training regimen that got her where she is today, click here, here, or here

6 comments:

Cindy said...

Love it, Lara!!

Steve-Rosanna said...

Love it, Lara!! Seriously, love it!!

K said...

I am so proud we have a gold medalist in our family. I will be telling everyone I know!

Jana said...

That. Was. Hilarious!

melissa said...

That's Awesome! Good advice ;)

annalisa said...

hahahaha! Thanks for the laugh!

I especially love "if you push through the hard days, then you can get through anything." hahahaha!

google analytics