Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Dress

Although I don't consider myself an overly sentimental person, I do find that I get attached to some random items here and there that eventually become heirlooms.  Take this cute little dress for instance.  My aunts Marva and Valerie made it for me when I was a little girl, along with a matching doll dress and homemade doll.    The colors and style of the dress are reminiscent  of Holly Hobby style, which was popular back in the day.   I absolutely loved it and remember even wearing it to school sometimes. 

Fast forward thirty plus years and although it's a little more worn now, my own girls love the dress like I did.  They're not really familiar with Holly Hobby, so to them it's a pioneer dress.   Cami and Emma  have each taken their turns wearing it on a regular basis,  as a dress-up for they're  playing that they live in "old-fashioned" times.    This past week it made the complete circle when Ellie put it on for the first time.  It fits her perfectly and it melted my heart to see her wearing it.  I wish I had a picture of Cami in it too, but sadly I can't for the life of me find one, so this will have to do.... 

*******************

UPDATE
  • Spence is covered with an itchy, itchy rash, but since he hasn't had any new meds today, the doctors are 100% unconcerned.   Even in the hospital, Benadryl is the solution. 
  • Spencer's chest pain seemed improved today.
  • Church today was a wonderful, albeit  emotionally exhausting experience for me.  I came home and took a long nap without even taking my boots off.  People who know me well, know that napping for more than 15 minutes is quite a concession for me.   Concession or not though....I needed it (the nap and the spiritual upliftment)!
  • We ate dinner, had root beer floats, let Ellie open a couple more presents, and enjoyed family home evening at the hospital tonight.  We all started the night a little grumpy (fasting does that sometimes), but felt much better after some good food and a lesson about God's grace. 
    Thanks to the Ransoms for a yummy break-the-fast dinner and this fun keg of root beer.  The kids (and adults) loved it!
  • We've been playing some rousing games of Jenga lately (Thanks Mr. S.)!  Spence loves to take out the riskiest blocks first to make the game interesting. 

************************

"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome."
                                                                                                                                                - Anne Bradstreet  (thanks Cynthia C.)

3 comments:

Steve-Rosanna said...

Thanks for the walk down memory lane! Mom and I both well remember you in that outfit (although the combination of old Kodak film and/or my old Russian-made Zenit camera makes it seem a bit faded). Modern photography has improved by 1000 percent over the past several decades. (I think that I may have inadvertently just called you "old" or somehow otherwise put a date on you. ;o)

We are all looking forward to General Conference this coming weekend. Promises to be a spiritual feast.

Thanks for the update on Spencer.

K said...

It's amazing that the dress has lasted so long! Clearly, our aunts knew how to make high quality dresses! You think they'd still be willing to sew a dress for us?

Never seen a keg of root beer before! HAHAHA!

Glad Spence's chest pain is a bit better. Hope the rash goes away soon!

Kate said...

Glad you enjoyed it! Neil actually searched several stores in DC until he found one with a keg :)

google analytics