Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Meet Rocky (Pets: Part 2)


 In 2009, a friend of a friend offered to let us adopt their already neutered and house-trained pug-beagle mix before they took him to the pound.  My kids had been begging for a dog for years before that and although I already knew that I was not a dog lover, I let the rest of the family persuade me into giving him a try.  The dog previously called Oliver, was quickly renamed the much cooler sounding name, "Rocky," by the kids.  He was about one-year-old and although quite cute, was also quite a handful.  

You see, although I had had two brief stints as a dog owner in my childhood, nobody had yet cued me into the Dog Statement of Belief.  What?  You've never heard of the Dog Statement of Belief?  Well I have it on good authority that it goes something like this:      

"We claim the privilege of rolling in poo, pulling things out of the trash, chewing up leather shoes, and barking at any and all people, animals, and vehicles that come within sight of our house.  If there is anything stinky, meaty, or in any ways gross, we seek after these things." 

Apparently most people already know all about dog's beliefs and have either come to an acceptance about them in exchange for their cheerful companionship or have decided that they don't want anything to do with them.  Although by nature I fall squarely into the latter category, over the past few years Rocky and I have come to a reluctant peace with each other.

While I may not love all of his antics, I've grown to appreciate his presence during the day and his eager willingness to accompany me on a walk.  I find it sweet when he snuggles up next to anyone who sits on "his" couch and mostly I love that the kids adore him.   And on really good days  when he hasn't acted too crazily (not very often),  I even occasionally find myself wondering what kind of dog we might get next.


***************************
More about Rocky:  

Rocky's favorites
  • Likes to sleep snuggled next to Ellie
  • Is attracted to dirty underwear and socks and will chew them to bits if given the opportunity
  • loves going on walks
  • loves to chase squirrels, but never even comes close to catching them
  • is very sweet with the kids

Things that annoy us about Rocky
  • Although the owner and dog are very friendly, Rocky hates the greyhound that lives around the corner from us, and goes embarrassingly crazy whenever we cross paths.
  • Barks....a lot!

Other pets owned: 
  • hermit crab
  • 1 gerbil and a devil-gerbil, Fui and Lucy
  • a couple of fish





1 comment:

Chelsey said...

We have had our dog one week and already I can't imagine life without her. She doesn't bark yet so... Your post makes me want to cry. So cute! Love the pictures!

google analytics