Monday, May 6, 2013

Running in the Lead

When I was in ninth grade a friend talked me into joining the junior high cross country team with her. I had never participated in a sport before (the joys of being an oldest child) and thought it might be a fun way to stay in shape.  Haha.  Fun wasn't quite the word for it.   I slogged my way through that season and vowed never, ever to run again unless someone was chasing me.

During the next summer, however,  the high school cross country coach contacted me and encouraged me to run for the high school team.  I'm not sure if it was a problem of selective memory or me just enjoying feeling wanted, but somehow I agreed to do it.

In the next three years I never rose above being a middle-of-the-pack runner, but somewhere along the way I grew to love running.   I loved the people on the team, I loved the exhilaration of finishing a race, and I loved the time it gave me to think.  My senior year, I was elected to be captain of both the cross country team and the distance team in track-and-field.  It was an honor for me and I wish I had more pictures of that time of my life, because I look as exhausted as humanly possible in the one picture I could find.  (I am with my friend Mia)

I never did run competitively after high school, but I have since used running as the main way to keep in shape during my adult life.   Although it is clear from looking at the extra pudge that has made its home around my middle, that I have not been running as often as I should lately, I am pleased that my family seems to have caught the running bug from me as well.    Not only did I introduce Glen to running, which has led him to run 4 marathons and several triathlons, but my kids also seem to enjoy it.  Cami runs on her high school cross country and winter track teams and Emma and Adam participate in their elementary school running program.   Ellie's not quite old enough for it yet, but she's already let me know that she's excited to join next year as well.

A couple of times a year one of the schools my children attend will host a race.  In the fall, it's the elementary school.  In the spring, it's their high school.  My kids insist on running in both.  The high school race was about a week ago.    Ellie and Adam opted to run in the one-mile fun run, a high spirited race that winds around the school grounds and ends with a lap around the track.   Here they are taking off at the starting line...

Adam got a cramp in the middle and ended up finishing at 8:29, which although a tad slower than last year's time, is still considerably faster than I could run a mile these days.
 

Ellie, as you can remember, has a broken ankle. I tried with every last ounce of my motherly persuasion to convince her that she should sit this year's race out and rest her foot instead.  She, being the stubborn Goold that she is,  would have nothing to do with it though and attempted to run anyway.  It was a very long mile filled mostly with walking, but she persevered the entire mile and even managed to cross the finish line in a hobbling sort of run.   Sadly, instead of being glad that she finished,  she ended up disappointed with her "almost last place finish".  I was quick to remind her though that she was first place in the broken ankle division.


 After the fun run, we went to cheer on Cami and Emma in the 5K.  Emma was nervous about not having a running partner, but she did fabulously without one and ended up very pleased with her 29:40 time (a PR for her).

Cami didn't set any PR's, but still managed to finish respectably...


And  look cute while doing it...


I'm so proud of my little speedsters...

Now it's my turn to follow their lead and lace up my running shoes too!


***************






3 comments:

The McArthur Family said...

Lara, you and I had identical bangs back in the day. I'm quite certain I used a half a can of hairspray every morning. How 'bout you? :)

Lara said...

haha! Yes, Jenny! It took a whole lot of hairspray to keep those bangs looking that good!

Mia said...

Wow, that is a great picture. I looked up to you so much Lara! What a great example you were to me. I enjoy reading all these updates with your amazing kids. They truly are amazing. You are one lucky mom. And they are lucky to have you too.

google analytics