Saturday, June 9, 2007

The books I'm hooked on...

I've read a lot of classic books over the last year (Bleak House, Count of Monte Cristo, Sense and Sensibility, etc.)
So when Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" showed up on our book club's reading list I was more than a little skeptical when I went to Amazon to read the reviews. I got a little scared off by the words, "vampire" and "erotic" in the same sentence. After three friends raved about it and informed me that the author was a BYU graduate and that it was actually a "chaste" love story about vampires...I decided I could try it....Well, several hours later after a long night of not being able to put it down I was officially hooked! Who needs sleep anyway?

Now AnnaLisa and Glen are caught in their snare and we are all anxiously awaiting for "Eclipse", the third in the series to be released this summer.

It's actually listed as a teen novel and frankly the quality of writing is not super great. But the story is completely compelling and you'll want to make sure that you have "New Moon" waiting for when you finish "Twilight".

So here's an excerpt from the Amazon review:
"Meyer has achieved quite a feat by making this scenario completely human and believable. She begins with a familiar YA premise (the new kid in school), and lulls us into thinking this will be just another realistic young adult novel. Bella has come to the small town of Forks on the gloomy Olympic Peninsula to be with her father. At school, she wonders about a group of five remarkably beautiful teens, who sit together in the cafeteria but never eat. As she grows to know, and then love, Edward, she learns their secret. They are all rescued vampires, part of a family headed by saintly Carlisle, who has inspired them to renounce human prey. For Edward's sake they welcome Bella, but when a roving group of tracker vampires fixates on her, the family is drawn into a desperate pursuit to protect the fragile human in their midst. The precision and delicacy of Meyer's writing lifts this wonderful novel beyond the limitations of the horror genre to a place among the best of YA fiction. (Ages 12 and up)" --Patty Campbell

2 comments:

Ashby said...

I LOVED that book!!! Karen brought it to me when I was on bedrest with Emma and I couldn't put it down. the second one is just as good, and I'm already looking forward to the third!

snowyone said...

Wow, I'm going to have to go to Amazon.com and find these books. I never have enough books to read!

google analytics