Sunday, May 24, 2009

Flower Power

Every Mother's Day weekend we have a tradition that we head to Home Depot,  fill the back of our van with flowers and soil and spend an entire Saturday shoveling, raking, tilling, and planting making our yard beautiful in the process.  

We're a couple of weeks behind this year due to Glen's recent bout with getting sick only on special holidays, but yesterday we officially finished off our Mother's Day festivities and made sure that Home Depot can stay in business all in one fell swoop.  



Glen and Emma filled the flower boxes along the stairs with pink petunias and white impatiens.  


Glen filled the pots by the door with multicolored dahlias and hung a pretty hanging plant.  


Adam, Ellie, and Cami helped me rake, till, dig, and plant in our little mailbox patch.  


Of course our mailbox still holds a special place in my heart due to the long hours I put in assembling it.   I love how these lemon zest petunias ended up looking with the red salvias behind them.  


In the middle of our mailbox plantings, Adam's moth hatched out of its chrysalis.  It doesn't get any more exciting for a six-year-old than being able to watch the transformation from caterpillar to chrysalis to moth right before your eyes, even seeing him uncurl his wings and dry off.  I was even fascinated.    



As a side note, these lemon zest petunias are my new favorite!  I had never seen flowers quite that color  before and I loved the pretty splash of color they brought to our yard! 


We took this little patch where our strawberry plants are and planted some peppers, carrots, basil, mint, cilantro, and the rest of the flowers that didn't fit in the other places.  Now if it weren't for the fact that I broke the lawnmower this past week by adding the wrong kind of gas to it, our yard would be looking almost perfect right about now.  


And after all that hard work on a humid day,  we were more than ready afterwards to take a splash in the community pool that just opened up for the summer.  
Just in case you're wondering where Spencer is with all this hard work around to do....for the last week and a half he's been in Canada whale watching and seeing the sites with my Dad, brother, and sister (pictures coming soon)!

10 comments:

Eyeglasses & Endzones said...

Gotta love the Home Depot traditions...we do the same thing here but with a small flower mart!

The kids look like they are having a blast and the house looks sooo pretty with the new flowers!

Have a blessed Sunday!

K said...

Looks gorgeous Lara! Great job and happy tradition! I especially like the flowers around the beloved mailbox!

JenJ said...

Looks fantastic!!! GREAT tradition idea because then on MOther's day you wake up to a beautiful yard....even if it is a few weekends late, works for me! :)

Dad + Nate + AnnaLisa said...

Pictures of Spence? You must be joking...of course, we have pics of your eldest. And as we speak we are in the midst of compiling all (20-30) of them from off all three cameras. We will soon share them with you and anyplace else we can find to post them.

I know that Nate and AL both promised to tag pix of Spencer with all his friends on Facebook.

Oh yeah, we have the evidence! Coming soon-watch this space.

Charlene said...

I do like those lemon zest flowers. They are beautiful!! I can't believe it's even warm enough to go swimming. My boys tried to play at the lake yesterday, but the water is still too cold.

C and Co. said...

I love that tradition! I may have to borrow it. Happy Mothers' Day!

Deanne said...

The flowers look beautiful! And what a better way to finish the day that at the pool!

Annette said...

Your yard and house look great. I love planting flowers.

Paige at MommyCast.com said...

Man! I am inspired by your amazing floral prowess! I am going to make a trip to Lowes when I get home and get cracking on the flowers!

Sandra said...

WOW! I am impressed. I can't keep even one flower alive and you have all those! They look very pretty and I'm sure your yard is going to be gorgeous when they are all bigger and in full bloom.

google analytics