Monday, July 13, 2009

Grandma's Legacy

There was a time not that long ago when my kids were some of the lucky few who actually knew most of their great-grandparents. When Ellie was born there were 6 out of 8 of them still living.

Over the course of the past four years though, each one of mine and Glen's parents has in turn buried a parent.


*First it was Glen's Grandma Loughton who passed away peacefully in July 2005.
*Then in September of 2007 my Grandfather Crain passed away in Oklahoma City.
*In January of 2008 Glen's Grandpa Loughton joined his sweetheart of 60+ years in the eternities.
*Then in March, Glen's Grandmother Frances passed away rejoined with her beloved George who passed away in 1995.


And tonight my dear, sweet Grandma Hepworth at almost 94, is finally reunited with her beloved husband, Fay, who passed away 26 years ago.

I love this picture of my Grandpa and Grandma Hepworth together with my brother and I. Grandpa died just a couple of years later and I don't have too many pictures of them together.


My Grandma Hepworth was one of those amazing people you don't meet very often. She raised 11 outstanding children (including my mother) on a farm in Star Valley, Wyoming. She spent her life busy and engaged and was sharp and witty right up to the end of her life.

Even with the dozens and dozens of grandchildren she had (and now great-grandchildren) somehow she always made me feel so individually loved. She would always send me home from a visit with her with some special hand-made treasure she had created just for me and made me feel like I was somehow her favorite grandchild. Of course if you asked any of my siblings or cousins they would claim that they were her favorite. Even four years ago at her ninetieth birthday she was still sharing her handiwork with us.

How grateful I am that my own kids have known her and loved her...

and for the legacy of love, kindness, hard work, thriftiness, creativity, faithfulness, and dedication she's given to me and all who've known her.


We'll miss you Grandma.

5 comments:

K said...

We will miss you Grandma! You are a truly amazing woman!

alexandra said...

Grandparents are the best, and your kids have been lucky to have known so many of their great-grandparents.

Sorry for your loss. Grandma Hepworth certainly has left quite a legacy.

Denise said...

I'm sorry for your loss Lara. I am glad your kids had the opportunity to know her...it is a gift.

gg said...

Grandma Hepworth is truly one of the most genuinely kind-hearted people I have known. While she will be missed, it is very nice to think that she is at last reunited with her good husband. She definitely deserves every bit of happiness that she is now no doubt enjoying.

Aitch said...

Thanks for the post Lara. Grandma was an amazing woman and she will be greatly missed.

I love the picture of you and Nate with Grandma and Grandpa. I don't think I have ever seen it before.

google analytics