Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Just Chillin'

One might think that summertime with five kids at home would be a stressful time for me.  On the contrary though, I love how laid back and carefree the days are.  We can sleep in if we feel like it,  the kids re-develop their friendships with each other, we can hang out at the pool, and most of all I especially love not rushing around all the time taking kids here, there, and everywhere.  

No school activities.  No sports.  No music lessons.  I'm  reveling in our newfound freedom!  

  We stay up too late, play with friends, hang out at the pool, eat popsicles twice a day, go on field trips, play at the park, sleep in our day clothes, put together puzzles, play games, and occasionally do a few chores and I love it all!     

Although the kids are pretty good at entertaining themselves I still am  always on the look-out for fun, new activities for the kids to try. Sometimes we go out for a day on the town or maybe try a new craft or try a game we haven't played in a while.  It's always an adventure trying to find something that all the kids enjoy.  Yesterday though I hit the jackpot!   

I found an activity that all the kids got excited about (even Spencer--and that's saying something)!  

Wanna try it too? 

Take  a few simple ingredients...

First combine 1 cup half and half, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of sugar in a quart size ziploc bag and seal.  

In  a gallon size bag add 4-6 cups of ice and 1/2 cup of rock salt. 

Place the smaller bag inside the bag of ice and...

jump, dance, toss, wiggle, shake, and knead those bags for five minutes (that's really all the time it took).


VOILA!  Thick, creamy, luscious homemade ice cream just like that.   Even my 38-year-old grown up kid was loving it.  


Speaking of cool summer treats, check out how shaggy we let Adam's hair get....


and how cool and summery he finally looks now with a new do and a bowl of fresh homemade ice cream!  

PS  I'll refrain from going into any detail about the special little "present" we found underneath all those shaggy locks.  Let's just say we had to smother it with peanut butter and use the tweezers to take care of it and we sure as heck were NOT making peanut butter truffles.   



5 comments:

Deanne said...

Homemade ice cream is so yummy! We did this with the preschool kids this year and it was a lot of fun, even with all the cold fingers. The reward was worth it!

Summer is great!

Denise said...

oh...Lara...how I envy you. Between camps and trying to get a little school work in...all the BIG plans I had for the summer - I'm pooped.

Two more weeks of summer camp...and then maybe a little R & R? I hope so.

ps. totally doing this for FHE.

alexandra said...

We've made that before and it super easy and fun.

I had grand plans for a restful summer, too, but it doesn't seem to be happening - yet. And I haven't even started handing out the summer homework yet! (Maybe that's where I'm going wrong?)

Charlene said...

what a great idea, making your own ice cream. I'm going to try that idea!! We love our sweets!!

annalisa said...

that ice cream was really good and easy to make! adam sure does look handsome in his new haircut!

google analytics