Sunday, July 12, 2009

Shopping Woes...

There once was a day when I thought shopping for kids' clothes was fun and challenging. I'd hit end-of-season clearance racks and buy entire wardrobes for my kids for the next year at 80% off. They looked good and I saved money, what isn't there to love about that?

Somewhere around kindergarten age though, my kids started getting a little pickier. Spencer would only wear athletic pants and t-shirts, Cami would only wear skirts and blouses, Emma couldn't wear light colors since she stained everything she wore, Adam will only wear jeans and t-shirts, and even Ellie would love it if I let her wear tutus and princess dresses everywhere.

So my shopping has gradually gotten a little more challenging and a little less fun over the years as the kids have gotten older. I could still choose their outfits, but within much stricter child directed parameters. Sometimes I even had to buy things not on clearance *gasp* because there wouldn't be enough of their type of clothing on the clearance racks to make a whole wardrobe.

Then Cami grew even older and now is pickier about her clothes than she is about eating beans. Not only can she never find anything she likes, but now we have the whole modesty issue where most clothes in her size are too short, too low cut, or sleeveless. Truly she has become the bane of my shopping existence and every time she tells me she needs something new (because she won't stop growing either), I cringe in horror. I now detest shopping for kids' clothes even more than I've always detested shopping for my own clothes.

So Cami is just heading off to her first year of Girls' Camp this coming week {Yikes! I can't be old enough to have TWO kids in the youth program.} and she informs me that there are several items on her packing list that she did not own!

After cringing and realizing that I can't make her wear the same three outfits (the only summer clothes she owns) for her five days at Girls' Camp, that I start preparing myself for hours of torture at Target, Kohls, and the mall.

Then in a moment of inspiration I get this great idea... UNIQUE.

What is Unique you ask? It's an awesome thrift store near our home that puts places like DI and Goodwill to shame. It's clean, organized, and HUGE!

I figured she'd probably still have a hard time finding things she likes, but at the end I'd have spent only a fraction of the money so at least when she outgrows it next month (or decides she doesn't like it) that our bank account isn't quite so drained.

So how did it go?

Exhibit A:
Cute shirt ($2.49) + matching modest shorts ($3.49) + brand new Lands' End water shoes ($2.49) = Whole New Outfit ($8.47)



Exhibit B:
Adorable short sleeved cardigan ($3.49) + white t-shirt ($1.49) + matching khaki capris ($2.49) = whole outfit $7.47



Fun Hello Kitty t-shirt ($2.49) + matching capris ($3.49) = $5.98


Three whole outfits (completely modest, great condition, and 100% Cami approved) for a grand total of $21.92.

Eat your heart out Kohls!

13 comments:

Andie said...

Good job guys! Super cute.

I heart Unique, too.

K said...

Unique sounds like a fab store! Way to go Lara. Camikins looks cute as always.

Grandpa-Grandma Crain said...

Wow! Great shopping and Cami is as adorable as ever.

Good job Mom.

alexandra said...

I keep thinking I should go there but the one time I did it was a bust. I must just lack your shopping finesse, Lara!

Denise said...

uh...hello. where is this store and why do I not know about it?

I have long shopped at thrift stores...it is the only way we could make it!!!

Karey said...

Wow! Looks like I need to head over your way to do some shopping :)

annalisa said...

i like all of Cami's clothes! they are so cute! and you got them for a great price!

Aitch said...

Clothes are always cuter when you find a great bargain :o)

And can I just say that they apparently dress much nicer for girls camp than they did in my day.

Deanne said...

I'm totally impressed! How come when I went to Unique just that one time I didn't find anything? You are definitely a bargain shopper! Maybe I'll take you with me next time. =)

By the way, I love Target and Kohl's too! Those are my "go to" shopping places, along with Old Navy. But once we move back I'll definitely add Unique to the list!

angela said...

I am impressed. I feel like I need to have a shower after I go to the thrift shops around here. I think smaller towns have WAY less selection, options, etc. Great finds! She looks adorable.
You should get her a sewing machine! There are some really fun things out there these days that she could make herself, especially dresses/skirts, etc. that I know are so hard to find. I am not sure if that is something she would like, but I would be happy to pass on some fun websites that I am obsessed with...

angela said...

I am impressed. I feel like I need to have a shower after I go to the thrift shops around here. I think smaller towns have WAY less selection, options, etc. Great finds! She looks adorable.
You should get her a sewing machine! There are some really fun things out there these days that she could make herself, especially dresses/skirts, etc. that I know are so hard to find. I am not sure if that is something she would like, but I would be happy to pass on some fun websites that I am obsessed with...

Annette said...

Wow, good job. Cammi, you look darling! Have fun at girls camp. I love girls came!

Mirien said...

What a successful shopping trip on all levels! I've never had that much luck at DI. I'm not looking forward to the back to school shopping.

google analytics