Saturday, July 11, 2009

And it's not even Fast Sunday...

Usually cooking in the winter is so much more fun for me than in the summertime. I love savory soups and freshly baked breads that just don't seem to lend themselves as well to hot weather cooking.

Sometime last year though I did something drastic that's changed my whole outlook on summer food!

I took lessons from Glen and totally took over the big manly appliance out on our deck and suddenly we went from eating hot dogs and sloppy joes every other day to....


things like Grilled Chipotle Chicken Fajitas...


and Roasted Salsa with Fresh Mint and Cilantro with charred vegetables...


and one of my favorites-- Grilled Honey-Lime Chicken Sandwiches.


Then in an effort to get even more excited about my summer cooking I did something even more drastic, I planted my very first herb garden!

(There are absolutely NO weeds in my garden...HAH!)

Right now all it has is fresh mint, cilantro, and basil, but we are in LOVE with this new-found jolt of flavor into our cooking. Now we've got...

Bruschetta Pizza with fresh basil...


and Spaghetti with Fresh Tomatoes (and basil)...


and even this Thai-Style Black Bean Salad (with fresh cilantro) added to our summer menu!


Of course we're still in love with our old classic summer food, like ....
watermelon (and every other fresh fruit)...

and yummy treats made with fresh fruit like this watermelon smoothie...


and the kids' very favorite of all....POPSICLES!!!!!

Rumble, grumble, rumble....

Now excuse me while I go find something to eat...

7 comments:

angela said...

WOW!
Can I come eat at your house tonight?

K said...

You know I would show up at your house every night at dinnertime if I lived in the area. You'd be ok with that, right?

Deanne said...

Yum! You better set a few extra plates at dinner tonight. You might have some surprise guests! =)

Mia said...

Road Trip for the Head Family this week, Destination... YOUR HOUSE!
Better quadruple your recipe's!

Steve-Rosanna said...

Both mom and I got hungry just reading this article.

The Bruschetta Pizza and the Chicken sandwich look seriously delicious.

Thanks for the tease. Wish we lived closer and could eat with you more often.

Mom and Dad

Lara said...

You all are WELCOME to come to dinner anytime! Just give me a couple hours notice and I'll try to scrounge something up for you!

Annette said...

I so want to come you YOUR house for dinner. It's 90 degrees outside, and I made beef stew and homemade rolls for dinner? My kids looked at me like I was crazy. Hey, I live in FL, if I waited for a chilly day to cook stew, I would only make it once a year! Still, your dinners look way better than mine.

google analytics